Job title: Assistant Registrar
Institution: Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art, the University of Oklahoma
Application deadline: Open until filled
Under supervision of the Head Registrar, the Assistant Registrar assists in the management of the Permanent Collection and the facilitation of temporary exhibitions. The position is responsible for a broad range of registration functions. Primary duties include assistance with the care, maintenance, and preservation of art works in the permanent collection as well as the performance of registration functions relative to temporary exhibitions including loan agreements, condition reports, and insurance and transit arrangements. The Assistant Registrar is required to exercise discretion and judgment in managing both the Museum’s collection and art works owned by other institutions or individuals that are on loan to the Museum.
* Assist Head Registrar and Associate Registrar with all duties.
* Conduct condition reports on artworks in the permanent collection and on loan.
* Assist with inventory of the permanent collection.
* Assist with accessioning and de-accessioning objects in the collection.
* Generate loan and acquisition paperwork.
* Update and maintain digital records on FileMaker Pro database.
* Monitor environmental conditions in the galleries and collection storage.
* Provide support for exhibitions such as packing and shipping arrangements, courier responsibilities, working with Virtual Gallery software, and generating appropriate paperwork.
* Assist with student, class, and scholar access to the collection.
* May oversee student interns and volunteers.
* Perform general administrative duties such as filing, copying, running errands, and general data entry as it relates to the permanent collection and temporary loans.
* Keep apprised of approved and current registrarial standards as well as basic conservation guidelines for the care and handling of artworks.
* Complete all other duties as assigned within the scope of responsibility and skill required for the job.
Salary: $13.27 per hour
* High School Diploma or GED OR an equivalent combination of education/job related experience.
* 9 months of museum experience.
* Bachelor degree from accredited college or univeristy with emphasis in museum studies, art history, art, or related field (Master’s degree preferred).
* Minimum 1 year of museum registration or related experience.
* Experience in administrative work and art handling.
* Experience using relational database, FileMaker Pro 10 preferred, Mac and Adobe Suite.
How to apply/contact information:
Full benefits package. All applications MUST go through the University of Oklahoma Office of Human Resources (Requisition # 16695). For more information please contact Becky Trumble at 405.325.0843. Please visit the HR website at http://www.ou.edu/ohr for more information. The University of Oklahoma encourages diversity in the workplace. The University of Oklahoma is an Affirmative Action/Equal opportunity employer.